TKC Ministries - Leon Hagins
Current Message - Anger
December 7 2013
Getting and being angry is something that we all have experienced. A wide variety of things and situations can set it off. The question then is what is the best way to deal with your anger.
We also have to look at the fact that not only is there bad anger but there is good anger also. There are times when we get angry and it is justified. When a situation arises and it is wrong , unlawful , mean , racist and disrespectful , then yes we get mad about these things , and we get mad enough to see that something is done about it.
Anger expressed when you see something happening to others.
We get angry when we see the innocent and our children senselessly destroyed on a daily basis. There are those who are cruel to animals, this makes us angry, and its understandable anger.
In the Old Testament there were over 350 times that God was angry about something. (Righteous Indignation) refs. Dr. Charles Stanley
The old testament is full of stories where the Israelites were constantly going against God’s commandments. Many times their folly cost innocent people their lives.
God chases his people down and begs them , and pleads with them , to listen to his words , obey his commandments , don’t do this or don’t partake in that , whatever the instructions , just follow orders.
But now just as in the old testament , we have a tendency to not listen that well to God , sadly most don‘t listen at all.
The Bible never said do not get angry , but rather don’t let your anger go past sunset. Ephesians 4:26-27spoke about going to bed angry. We think that we are just going to sleep it off. However this is not the case. That anger will fester in your sub-conscious mind while you sleep , and as soon as you open your eyes in the morning , you immediately think about what angered just before bedtime. Dr. Stanley suggests reading some scriptures prior to falling asleep. This way you have God on your mind , while your mind is still working , even though you are sleeping.
Mark 3:2-5 -
Matthew 21: 13-14 -
Matthew chapter 23 -
Jesus exposed their folly concerning these long prayers (sometimes 3hrs or longer) , they would make just to be seen of others. In an attempt to show the masses how holy they were , and yet these same jokers would rob widows out of their property…….Jesus got very angry at this, and it was justified so much so that he told them that , on the judgment day , they would receive a greater damnation than most. He told them they were the children of those who killed the prophets , and referred to them as serpents and vipers who will be unable to escape the damnation of hell.
As far as emotions are concerned , anger, has to be the most dangerous. Many folks are angry at someone or something , or something has been done to them, or taken away from them.
Anger effects us mentally, spiritually, physically, and psychologically.
The side effects from always being angry are tremendous. Sadly many folks don’t even realize they’re angry, and when you call them on it they strongly disagree with your observation and accusation.
A strong feeling of intense displeasure hostility or indignation as a result of a real or imagined threat, insult, frustration or injustice towards yourself or others important to you.
*usually it has been building up for a while many times a person’s rage goes overboard and they physically hurt and kill people.
*Explosive, uncontrollable expression of anger.
A person admits anger is there but refuses to deal with it. The problem with this is that it just brews on the inside.
Suppression , refusal, or denial that anger exists.
When you are angry you can loose your marriage, your children, your job, your health, you don’t have love, joy, peace , goodness, gentleness , self control and other wonderful qualities. And when these fine qualities are absent then what do you have? ……..emptiness , loneliness , frustration, fear , upset with their life , no sense of real joy , not really excited about the future , mad about something in the present……..we have a generation of people like this. Refs. Dr. Charles Stanley.
Perhaps you know some folks that have some of these characteristics , and I’m sure if we take a real good look we’ll see some of ourselves. We all need the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us through our daily lives. He helps us deal with difficult people , and believe me God is well aware of your situation , and knows those folks who are just annoying. It probably sometimes seems like they were put there just to annoy you……..not only did it lead you to pray about it , but it gave the Holy Spirit an opportunity to show you his wonderful power. After a while you’ll find yourself becoming less agitated by their behavior. And I’m also a believer that God Almighty does not stand idly by while his children are being troubled.
Jesus said - Matthew 18:6 - But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me , it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. anyone starts talking ’smack’ , just quote that scripture to them………they’ll leave you alone…..guarantee.
So just in case
Sometimes in life you’ve got to flex your faith muscles, and ask God for boldness, and a strong spirit, and a mind to make good decisions , and trust in Christ always.
A few scriptures on anger…..
Proverbs 14:17 -
Proverbs 15:1 -
Proverbs 15:18 -
Proverbs 16:32 -
Proverbs 22:24-25 -
Anger has some traveling companions……..Ephesians 4:31- Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour,(clamor - a loud uproar) and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice
Causes of anger:
* not getting your way
* feeling rejected
* fear of loss - having worked so hard on something only to have it taken away due to some decision , or something else out of your control.
* feel threatened
* feel disappointed
* feeling inadequate
* anger directed towards someone
* anger without justifiable cause
* anger that seeks to do harm to another person
* anger that is held onto tightly…….won’t give it up for nothing
* anger that develops an unforgiving spirit
How do people usually handle anger:
* repress it - “no I am not angry“! …they are not even conscious of it.
* suppress it - they admit they are angry but are not willing to try to change. Unfortunately when you suppress it it’s like having a 50lb ball of poison , that has a small leak at the bottom, and it leaks out constantly and slowly. It’s like slowly cooking yourself.
Other ways people handle anger….
* blame others or God
* blow up
* burry it
* bear it
* belittle it
* grow bitter
* benefit from it
……..if anger is not dealt with it will destroy a person. Angry people are dangerous , to themselves and to those around them who try to love them.
Consequences of anger……
* relationship with God is not right. You can’t be angry with others and at the same time be right with God……it doesn’t work.
* no peace
* a sense of isolation - no one wants to be around you
* frustration , emptiness , because all of the following are missing , love , joy , peace , happiness.
* effects your health - depression usually has to do with anger.
* just think about children who grow up in a home with angry parents.
* anger is a form of suicide…….self destruct mode
Just a quick note……
As we go through this anger material we can see this is why true believers can shine as bright as the day because our society is full of angry people.
Victory over anger…..
* some folks are angry with God! ???? - It’s amazing how we can actually get mad at God. This is a person who sent his son into the world to die for our sins , a person who keeps your heart beating. And even the bad things that come into our lives , God turns then around for good…….Romans 8:28
And finally he is a person who could just drain the life out of your body in less than a second , so I would be a little bit careful about what I say, do or….think!
The Lord is gracious , and full of compassion: slow to anger , and of great mercy.
I ask God for help all day and everyday , and I suggest you do likewise.
* have to be willing to confess it , admit it and ask yourself ‘why am I angry’?
* clarify your feelings - what am I feeling in this anger?
* take an emotional time out - STOP!
And he prayed unto the Lord , and said , I pray thee , O Lord , was not this my saying , when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God , and merciful , slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.
* you don’t have to respond to everything said and done. If you’re doing the right thing and God knows you are doing the right thing…..then don’t worry.
* put it down , put it away , lay it down , and you can lay it down again and again.
* many think if they do not retaliate that the person gets away with it. This simply just wrong , wrong , wrong. God Almighty is aware of what they did and continue to do. Let him handle it. It is not our job to enforce punishment.
* replace it - do something. Clean out the garage , go wash your car , go play golf. It’s not necessary to respond in bitterness and anger. Do something that is good.
Just a note……
Be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger. James 1:19
God doesn’t want us to be angry people , and then try to be a representative of him.
Psalm 145 :8 -
Joel 2:13 -
And rend your heart , and not your garments , and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful , slow to anger , and of great kindness , and repenteth him of the evil.
Jonah 4:2 -
Nahum 1:3 -
The Lord is slow to anger , and great in power; and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm , and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
In closing , I found these scriptures and other information on anger to be quite informative and helpful. I hope they can be helpful to you also. If we continue to trust in God, his Christ, and the Holy Spirit, we will be able to deal with our anger , and become more and more Christ like.
Let us continuously pray for one another. J